Monday, March 22, 2010

The sun is ours now!

Well I hate to break it to you southern brethren but the sun is ours now. You have had your dance with our dear sweet sun but now the tune is fading and it is our time. It was a long time since it our days outlasted our nights here in the north but that time is at end for another year. We are pretty far north so even though the days have been lengthening since December it is only now really starting to work it's dependable annual magic.

Earlier this year I started getting a bit antsy and went out into the snow to build the following structure in an attempt to catch a bit more of the sun and possibly get a jump on the season.


Now to get the full effect you have to imagine me knee deep in the snow and digging out a place to build this ill thought out structure. So what was wrong with it? First off I didn't measure the windows and ended up with a structure that was too wide and let in the winter air. Second I managed to put it in the shadow of the big maple even after trying to account for it. So major fail there.

So plan B involved moving the straw bales and windows to the garden which even now has a small corner of snow in it.



So far that is working out much better the soil is almost hot on a sunny day and I think I should be able to start some plants in it this week. Which is good as my windows in the house are already full.

Also here is the annual first rhubarb picture! It has become a bit of a thing to post this picture each year so there it is. You may rejoice once again.



I also managed to fork over a few of the beds I had covered with chicken manure last fall. I am hoping that this helps the soil to warm up a bit quicker. I also hopes it starts the process of the soil making use of the remains of last fall's compost addition. I am thinking of starting seeds of spinach and radishes this week.


In other news I am nearly finished with the duck house. I just need to add the wheels trim down and mount the door and paint it. I spent quite a few pleasant hours working on it in the pole barn this weekend. I also need to put together the crate that is the new shed soon.
So much to do! So much to do!

6 comments:

Aimee said...

We built a similar structure to your second picture - though ours used only 6 bales of hay and one window. We built it before the snow came and it too let in the cold air. We had some kale or something in there and it gave up. Too cold I guess. That was two years ago. We're thinking about how we could do this again in the future.
It was hard for me to tell - does the rhubarb picture mean your rhubarb is coming up?! I don't think ours has come up yet.

Mr. H. said...

I like your latest cold frame design, it looks like it should work really well. I'm glad to hear that you are finally being blessed with some spring weather in your area...enough of that cold depressing snow.

Ducks? I am looking forward to hearing mor eabout them.

Robj98168 said...

LOL Give it to em Brother! The sun is ours.

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Aimee-Yup the rhubarb is up! It is always so reassuring to see it survived another winter. We plan to just use the cold frame to start seeds.

Mr. H- We have had a mild spring so far here. It has been great to roll down the windows the last few days.

Yup ducks are part of the spring plan this year. Not sure yet how it will go but we are excited.

Rob-Hehe. Well I know we will have to give it back this fall but for now the sun is ours.!

Jo said...

Nice cold frame. What seeds to you plan to start inside?

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Sorry Jo I have no idea at all. I am thinking I will try the nightshades in there. I have never had any luck starting that family from seed so this might be the way.