Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Seed Inventory

I had a chance to sit down and go through all the leftover seeds from the last few years this afternoon. It looks like I have a bunch of herb seed and some flowers as well. I am also looking good as far as vegetable seeds. My plan for this year is to put some of the money I am saving from planting left over seed into a garden cart and small shed. Some of the seed I still have is from the grocery store Kabocha squash that I planted last year. Not all of those squash were true to type but they have kept well and make delicious soups. From my reading I have learned that viability does drop each year of storage so some of these are a bit of a crap shoot but the seed is free and we have the space so as long as the seed sprouts and grows I'll let it. Some of the best producing plants we have grown were mongrels of one form or another. I would probably feel different if this was my sole means of sustanance or income but as it is we don't mind.

Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice picture. Frugal is the name of the game it seems so good luck with the seeds.

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

well thank you. That picture is a bit old though. Also yes, frugality is an integral part of the enterprise around here. And thank you for the kind wishes.