Sunday, October 4, 2009

Well it has been a while since I have written. The combination of so much to finish and the diminishing daylight both conspire to keep me from the blog. We have been involved in a few new adventures around here. First Jess has started a blog about food, life and song over at Lefse and Kimchee: A life in Meals and Song. My wife is a much better writer than I will ever be, so I urge you to give her blog a read if you have the time.
Also it is now hunting season here in Minnesota and I have spent a few days in the fields looking for some high quality protein. There is an ancient native american word for the type of hunter I am and it is "Vegetarian." Truth be told I have had to press upon my friends to teach me to hunt and they have graciously obliged. But I can't always prevail upon them to take me hunting and so I have had to learn much of it on my own. I think it will be a craft that I will continue to improve upon for years to come. I have had some successes over the years, there were a few white tailed deer, a coot and a goose or two. This week I have been to a game farm and came home with 10 pheasants for the freezer but duck opener success alluded me this year. I also spent an afternoon last week walking the woods and looking for squirrels, they must have had other plans that day.
In addition to all this we have had a near frost and had to spend an afternoon/evening trying to gather it all in. We gathered quite a bit of raspberries and beans as well as the last of the tomatoes.
Now just to finish getting ready for our harvest festival in the barn.

Rick

2 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Good luck with the hunting, I spent many years deer and elk hunting with my father but have no taste for it anymore.
Perhaps someday if we move farther out I will again take it up, until then I will happily be a vegetarian, and hunt for nuts and berries.:) Although I do love to stalk and hunt animals with my camera.

If you ever get a chance, you might enjoy reading Tom Brown's book "The Tracker" or any of his books for that matter.

I enjoyed your wifes blog, very nice.

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Thanks for the well wishes. I was pretty sure not all parties would agree with my take on hunting. As a person who does and will probably continue to eat animals I think it is incumbent upon me to be involved in the lives and necessary deaths of the animals involved. I strive to always make quick kills and minimize pain and suffering where possible while hunting.

Also thanks for the book recommendation. I will keep an eye out for it.

Jess says thanks.