Sunday, October 14, 2007

Update



Well I got the garlic planted this weekend. I planted the following varities in 2 rows each starting closest to the house. German extra hardy, Broadleaf Czech,Music,Chrysalis Purple,Shevelisi,Persian Star. I still have alot of garlic left to plant but the raised bed that I had built wasn't large enough. I still need to put straw over it as a mulch till next summer.
I also built a trellis around the raspberries. I used steel posts and wire. I need to add twine to hold the canes. The Chickens are doing well. They are growing well and providing us with lots of eggs. We have eaten hardboiled eggs, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, and have made other egg dishes as well. We also bought an ice cream maker. Jess made vanilla and chocolate ice cream already. We can also use the machine to make sorbet and gelato. I look forward to making raspberry or rhubarb sorbet. Maybe even cherry or plum. It will be a great way to preserve next years harvest.

Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, nice pictures! What are you going to do with the rest of the garlic? What is coq a vin??? Love your updates. Farmers Rick and Jess-so cool.
Love you both. Judy aka MOM

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Not sure about the garlic yet. I may try and put together another bed quick. Coq au vin is chicken in wine with garlic and onions and mushrooms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coq_au_vin