Sunday, April 20, 2008

Time to get my chits together.

I have been chitting my potatoes this week. It basically consists of setting them out on egg crate and letting the eyes sprout. I have to interrupt myself here in case you are reading this as if I know what I am talking about. This is the first time I have attempted to grow potatoes so take what I say in that light. I have been trying to figure out where I was going to plant my spuds this year. I found an article yesterday that implied using rubbermaid garbage cans to grow them. I have heard of using barrels before so this seemed like a good idea. I have decided to try that method and plan to pick up 4 trash cans Monday on the way home from work.
Yesterday Jess and I went out to an earthday event at the Midtown global market. We came a crossed a number of great booths and people. There were a number of local and organic food producers there. The best piece of info we picked up was that the Thousand Hills Cattle Company based in Cannon Falls sells there products locally. This will be a great boon when we need local grass fed beef this fall. There was also a few advocacy groups for alt energy and the like. We had a good time.
On the farm we are starting to see the growth of lots of things. The Rhubarb and garlic ar coming along nicely. The chives as always can not be slowed much less stopped. The hops and raspberries are also sending up shoots. I also overwintered a few flowers that apear to have survived the winter.

Spring may finally be here.
Rick

No comments: