Saturday, August 25, 2007

Updates.

Wow, almost a week since my last post. Things have been kinda quiet here as of late. We had a week of dreary wet weather with high temps in the upper 70's. The rhubarb and peas seem to be loving it. The lettuces are not too upset about it but the tomatoes are almost dead. They got a bad case of wilt and the cool wet weather didn't help. the grass really popped back though. I had to mow yesterday for the first time in at least a month. I gotta admit I wasn't really missing it. I harvested hops yesterday. I hadn't wanted to harvest them wet and I think they are a bit past prime. Oh well live and learn.
On another front I heard a talk on the radio yesterday by Michale Pollan. He is the author of a book called the Omnivores Dilemma. I was really impressed by his ability to articulate some of the things I had been feeling about why I am doing this farmy self sufficiency thing. It is a realization that our current relationship with our world simply won't persist in it's current form. I look forward to reading his book this winter. I will have to make a list of books to read this off season.

Rick

PS started using Remember The Milk to organize farm chores and life tasks. Will let you know how it goes. So far I like it.

No comments: