Monday, December 28, 2009

Late post

So here it is the winter solstice again.
In our part of the world it seems to come too late to mark the beginning of the winter and too early to mark it
s middle. One thing it does do is mark the end of another solar cycle and the beginning of a new one. Or at least it would if cycles had endpoints and beginnings. For me it is always a happy event to know that the sun will start to come back soon. Living this far north the days tend to get too short for my liking. I dont really tolerate the absence of my dear sun to well. During the waning of the sun I tend to get all bearish. All I want to do is eat sleep and growl at people. I put on a layer of fat and very much wish to be left alone. I am always aware of it and try to rise above it but it is a deep drive, a chemical certainty that is only really effectively countered with significant amounts of will, which is sadly in short supply. But the return of the sun always gives me hope.


Here is hoping you all had a good holiday and are warm and safe this winter.

3 comments:

Jo said...

At this time of year I also find it hard to be productive. Not so strangely, two of the things I find motivation for is cooking and crocheting. Hearty meals and blankets. Food and warmth. Having about a dozen candles burning at any given time helps a bit with the light deprivation too.

Mr. H. said...

I know what you mean. Because we live in amongst the trees there is almost no sun at all in December and January. One of my tricks is to try and get out and do some hiking in a sunnier location...it seems to help a bit. I can't wait until January has come and gone.

The days are short,
The sun a spark
Hung thin between
The dark and dark.

- John Updike

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Yeah I definitely need to find excuses to go out and get more sun.