Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cheap Meat

I know it sounds like the name of an uninspiring punk band or possibly a late night cable film but "cheap meat" is something even more disgusting. It is a plague upon our times.
Taking the recent news of downer cows being made into meat and sold to the schools in the US as an example. We as a people have been increasingly unlikely to ask the questions that need to be asked. Like where did this meat come from? Who processed it? Who prepared it? I mean how in this day and age is it even possible to raise, slaughter, transport, prepare, wrap and sell anything made of meat for less than a dollar? Think about it for a minute, by paying low prices for one of life's most precious foods we are saying we don't care about it. Think about the guys killing cattle for close to minimum wage. We tip a bartender for pouring a drink but balk at paying the guy responsible for nourishing our bodies a decent wage. For that matter what about the man or woman that cooked your meal? Shouldn't we be paying them better as well? I mean if the slaughterman is the first line of quality control then they are surely it's last possible check against disaster.
I don't have anything against eating meat. In fact I am a rabid devote of the wonderful stuff. It is precisely because I love meat so much that I am urging you all to buy meat that is worthy of eating. Don't tell me how great it is that you got a giant package of meat for only two bucks down at the Wallymart. You should be telling me about the fine steak you had last week and how it was worth every penny. Something to consider next time you step out for a Whitey One Bite.

Eat your vegetables and expensive meat,
Rick

No comments: