Saturday, September 20, 2008

Picalila-Chow

Yesterday Jess and I made a batch of Chow-Chow/ Piccalilli relish. We had a ton of green tomatoes growing on the volunteer tomato plant that came up from the compost I spread earlier in the year. I was inspired by a post on making Chow-Chow over at Musings from a Stonehead. We made it according to a recipe in the Ball Blue Book. I can't recommend that book enough, especial if you don't have a kindly mentor to show you how to can.
We ended up modifying two recipes that were close. We combined the spices found in both chow-chow and piccalilli relish. The recipie was also supposed to make 7 pints but I think we added too many green tomatos because we ended up with 12 pints.

Rick

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...chilli picalili, on my list of things to do! I do love it though, goes with nearly everything, especially curries! Enjoying your blog, interested to read more.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you processed them long enough and everything but I would warn against making things with the wrong ratio's. (for this next year coming up)
If you have too many tomato's added and the same amount of lemon juice then you lose the acidic balance that helps keep things germ/etc free.

Just a mention... for safety's sake.