Sunday, November 16, 2008

Michael Pollan does it again.

Michael Pollan is quickly becoming the spokesman for the whole of the local, small, slow anti-industrial food movement. I just finished reading his latest article from the NY times. It is a long article written as an open letter to the next president. Mr Pollan lays out the case for making less industrial food a centerpiece of solving the climate, energy and health issues facing the nation today. Among his suggestions are selecting the next white house chef with an eye to promoting small food. I think this might be an excelent position for Alice Waters to preach the gospel from though Mr Pollan stops short of directly advocating her.
In related news I have recently encountered a petition to have the new president turn all or some of the white house lawn back into productive land. I think this is a good idea but it needs to be explained to the public properly so it isn't seen as posturing like Carter wearing a sweater. Again that wasn't a bad idea just too easily mocked.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Haha, I would love to see kale and squash growing on the White House lawn. I buried my lawn in three-way* to grow veg (mixed with flowers). If people are going to pick out of my yard when they walk by, at least they can eat it now. :)

*equal parts sand, manure and compost - minds out of the gutter, people!

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Hey Heather thanks for stopping by. Yeah I think it would be an awesome example. I am really hoping for fields of arugula.